Today is the final day of ALTA ONE. Although the day wraps up at 1 pm, the day is packed with important sessions ranging a variety of buzz-worthy topics. Our daily ALTA ONE guides provide our take on the can’t-miss sessions and events each day of the conference. Here’s our recommended presentations and events you’ll want to attend on Friday.
Data Privacy Horizon | Manchester F, 10:30 – 11:30 am
- Why you should attend: Data privacy took center stage this year in headlines across the country. Consumer technology platforms opened up questions around how and when businesses could leverage consumer data. The implications for title & escrow are fuzzy, and this session will help demystify the data privacy questions facing the industry including what kind of data we have, how it’s stored, and who we are sharing it with.
- Come prepared with: Read up on the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) set to go into effect in 2020. It’s expected that states across the country will follow California’s lead to develop similar protection laws. ALTA’s free webinar provides insight on CCPA as it relates to title & escrow and which states have similar laws coming down the line.
Keys to Success in a Commercial Transaction | Manchester G, 10:30 – 11:30 am
- Why you should attend: According to MBA, the commercial real estate (CRE) opportunity is projected to explode in 2020. While the opportunity with CRE is high, the stakes are also much higher with commercial transactions. This session will discuss best practices for coordinating complicated commercial transaction relationships.
- Come prepared with: Your questions about how to work with insurers during commercial transactions. Fidelity National Title Group will have a representative speaking on her experience underwriting commercial and large national transactions.
Recruiting Title Employees from Unexpected Places | Indigo, 10:30 – 11:30 am
- Why you should attend: According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, by 2026 the title industry will see a 4.4% increase in job openings — higher than the national average for positions of the same educational level and on-the-job training. While there are rich opportunities to bring in title & escrow professionals, recruitment can quickly become competitive when everyone is fishing from the same pond. This session will discuss creative ways to source new talent who will deliver value to your business.
- Come prepared with: An understanding of your own recruiting practices. Where do you source recruits and how proactive are you in the search for new talent? Exploring your own hiring processes will likely ignite your own creative sourcing ideas that you can bring to the table.
Geneveryone | Congressional CC, 12:00 – 1:00 pm
- Why you should attend: This session features Mary O’Donnell, the newly-elected ALTA President. She will co-present alongside Scott Stratten, the president of UnMarketing, on why the industry needs to rethink generational labels and stereotypes to create a space where baby boomers and millennials can thrive.
- Come prepared with: Questions for newly elected ALTA President, Mary O’Donnell, on her vision for the industry’s future. We also recommend you read our piece “Meet the Title Industry’s Most Proficient Tech Adopters: Baby Boomers” which breaks down common misconceptions about baby boomers and millennials and delivers advice on how to create a workplace that benefits and celebrates both generations.