Originally posted: April 24, 2020
[Resources last updated: May 5, 2020]
Remote online notarization (RON) eClosings are one of the last remaining barriers to a fully-digital home buying experience. Movement toward RON eClosings was previously a slow march. Now, in light of the urgent need for contactless closings during COVID-19, interest in RON has risen dramatically.
Since the COVID-19 outbreak in mid-March, Google Trends data indicates that searches for “remote online notarization” spiked. Across the legal, lending, and real estate markets, the need for zero-touch, fully-remote notarizations is more apparent than ever.
As you explore your own RON timelines, it’s crucial that you’re knowledgeable on the nuances in your region including the temporary orders that impact your ability to perform RON or RIN transactions during COVID-19. Any missteps in an effort to rush toward RON can result in serious implications for your business, your clients, and a homeowner’s true and uncompromised ownership of a property.
Below is a curated list of RON resources that are available for title & escrow businesses and lenders to stay on top of RON legislation, gather verified information on RON standards, and discover checklists and other guides to get started with RON eClosings. We will continue to update this page with reliable resources as they become available.
Institutional RON Standards
- MISMO: Industry standards and guidelines
- Freddie Mac: eMortgage review/approval requirements
- Freddie Mac: Eligibility requirements to originate, deliver, and service eMortgages (Single-Family Seller/Services Guide)
- Fannie Mae: Guide to delivering eMortgages to Fannie Mae
- Fannie Mae: Guidelines for RIN transactions
- Freddie Mac: COVID-19 temporary guidelines for RIN transactions
RON eClosing Information and Guidance
- Qualia: Untangling the complexities of eClosings
- ALTA: Digital closing readiness checklist
- Freddie Mac: Electronic loan documents FAQ
- Fannie Mae: eMortgage readiness checklist
- Fannie Mae: Background on advantages of eMortgages
- NNA: Understanding notary technology
State and National RON Legislation Status
- NNA: State-by-state updates for permissibility of RON and RIN
- ALTA: Updated list of temporary RON and RIN legislation and executive orders by state
- National Notary Association (NNA): Updated list of states which have passed RON legislation
- ALTA: SECURE Act details (national RON legislation)
- ALTA: SECURE Act FAQ
Additional RON Resources
- Freddie Mac: List of warehouse lenders that provide warehouse lines of credit to seller/services originating eMortgages
- Fannie Mae: List of warehouse banks funding eNotes
- MERS: eNote registry
- NNA: How to become a remote online notary
As more information and resources become available we will update this page with additional links and reputable sources. If you have a valuable RON resource, please share with us by emailing Kelsey.Galles@Qualia.com